The Center for Architecture Sarasota celebrates the role of public architecture in defining the city’s built environment in its first exhibition of 2017, “Architecture in the Public Realm.” The exhibition showcases the work of local architects to provide an intimate look at the impact architecture makes on how we experience our public spaces, with models and display boards detailing the designs in some of Sarasota’s most iconic public gathering spots.
“Architecture in the Public Realm” include:
Carl Abbott, FAIA, Carl Abbott Architect: Summer House
Joe Farrell, AIA, AHI: Project: Pacific Guardian Center, National Archives: Republic of Palau
Martin Gold, AIA, Architect & Associate Professor UF. Florida Community Design: Archer Braid Trail (Gainesville)
Sam Holladay, AIA, Seibert Architects: Downtown Intermodal Transfer Facility
Jessica Heinz, ASLA, Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc: Siesta Beach and Bradenton Riverwalk
Gary Hoyt, AIA, Hoyt Architects: The Mark
Julian Norman-Webb, AIA, JNW Studios: St. Thomas More Church Renovation and Expansion
Dale Parks, AIA, D/PARKS Architect: G. Wiz/Blivas Science and Technology Center
Jonathan Parks, AIA, Solstice Planning and Architecture: Palm Avenue Parking Garage
Guy Peterson, FAIA, Guy Peterson OFA: Benderson Park Finish Tower
Todd Sweet, AIA Sweet Sparkman Architects: Sarasota County Beach Pavilion
David Young, ASLA, DWY Landscape Architects: Ringling Museum Waterfront
Michael Bryant, AIA and Stu Henderson, NCARB, Fawley Bryant Architecture: South Florida Museum
CFAS will also host a series of “Gallery Talks” in which participating architects will have the opportunity to speak about their work through a series of mini lectures during the exhibition. Gallery Talks will take place on January 18 and 25, and on February 1, 8, and 22 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. at the CFAS.
Gallery Talk Schedule:
- Jan 18: Todd Sweet, AIA (Sweet Sparkman Architects) and Carl Abbott, FAIA (Carl Abbott Architect).
- Jan 25: Martin Gold, AIAMartin Gold, AIA, Architect & Associate Professor UF, Jonathan Parks, AIA (Solstice Planning and Architecture), and Stu Henderson, NCARB (Fawley Bryant Architecture).
- Feb 1: David Young, ASLA (DWY Landscape Architects) and Guy Peterson, FAIA (Guy Peterson OFA).
- Feb 8: Sam Holladay, AIA (Seibert Architects), Dale Parks, AIA (D/PARKS Architect) and Joe Farrell AIA (AHI).
- Feb 22: Julian Norman-Webb, AIA (JNW Studios), Jessica Heinz, ASLA (Kimley-Horn & Associates) and Gary Hoyt, AIA (Hoyt Architects).
The CFAS gallery is free to the public, and is open Tuesday through Friday from 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. and on Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. The gallery is located at 265 S. Orange Ave., Sarasota, FL 34236.
October 7 – December 30, 2016
Don Chapell Gallery
As part of a class exercise for the University of Florida School of Architecture’s CityLab Sarasota program, students in Advanced Graduate Architectural Design II course were challenged to analyze needs and design possible options for a cultural district along 42-acre Sarasota bayfront.