BUILDING A DAY: October 2, 2014
Architect: Dwight James Baum
Photos: Ringling Museum of Art
Ca’ d’Zan is Venetian for House of John and was the winter home of the American circus owner, developer and art collector John Ringling and his wife Mable. Lovers of the Venetian aesthetic, the Ringling’s chose the site overlooking Sarasota Bay for its vista, which reminded them of the lagoon of Venice. Described as ?the last of the Gilded Age mansions? to be built in America, Ca’ d’Zan is 36,000 square feet and has 56 rooms filled with art and original furnishings.
The design of the residence was commissioned from New York architect Dwight James Baum in 1924 and completed in 1926. The residence was built by Sarasota developer Owen Burns and restored in 2002 under the direction of Bill Puig.
Ca’ d’Zan is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.